Monday 20 January 2014

I'm a bit behind on posting reviews of books...Oops!

I have read quite a few books since the start of the year, I just haven't reviewed any.

Last night I finished the final book in the Wheel of Time Cycle - A Memory of Light.

I started the Wheel of Time books a few years ago on the recommendation of an acquaintance and I was hooked instantly. I devoured those books and read every one as soon as I could get my hands on it. When Robert Jordan died I was saddened both for his passing and for the loss of the end of the story, I desperately wanted to know what would happen to them all - Nynaeve, Egwene, Rand, Mat, etc, etc - would they succeed, would they beat Shai'tan or would it all ultimately end in disaster?

When Brandon Sanderson was chosen to use Robert Jordan's extensive notes to finish the story I rejoiced, more so when it transpired that there was just too much to fit into just one book and there would now be three more to enjoy.

Brandon Sanderson is a good writer and he did a great job of finishing the series, but it was different, the voices of the characters were different, the feel of the books was different and the whole thing sort of lost it's appeal for me.

That said I still read them, I still enjoyed them - until A Memory of Light that is.

It was good but it dragged somehow, there were just too many threads all having to be followed, loose ends having to be tidied up. It felt messy and out of control and I kept having to bring myself back to it.

Ultimately I did enjoy the story, it was good to say goodbye to that world and the people in it, I'm glad I know how it ended and how they all got there in the end. I don't think I will be going back to revisit it any time soon though - if ever!

No comments:

Post a Comment