Saturday 7 December 2013

A Story a Day

When I started this blog it was to get as much practice writing as possible.

It struck me during NaNoWriMo that I've had the wrong focus on the blog. I've been writing random snippets, thoughts, snapshots of my life with the occasional flash fiction challenge courtesy of the mighty Chuck Wendig over at terribleminds.

If I'm to improve my writing then I need to focus on what I want to write - fiction -  so, with that in mind, from now on I'm going to try and write a piece of flash fiction or vignette a day. If anyone has any comments, thoughts or suggestions then please feel free to share them.

Here's the first offering:

The Christmas Lights

 I used to love December 1st. We’d all go into town together to watch the Christmas Lights being put on. It was amazing; there would be stalls selling food, drink, and Christmas gifts; street performers, music, and some lameo minor celeb to push the button and “switch on” the lights. It was a great night.

Last year that had all changed. Last year when the celeb pushed the button the lights came on illuminating dead bodies instead of reindeer and santa clauses. That year the fairy on top of the christmas tree had dripped red blood on the gifts below and the branches had been garlanded with intestines instead of tinsel. That year, when the button was pushed, an axe swung down cleaving the celeb’s head in two.

They never did find out who did it or why.

This year we aren't going into town, my family and I, this year we’re staying at home. Where it’s safe. We hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment